ETRACS Monthly 2xLeveraged ISE Cloud Computing Total Return Index ETN
The ETRACS Monthly 2xLeveraged ISE Cloud Computing TR Index ETN (the "ETN") provides exposure to the monthly compounded two times leveraged performance of the ISE Cloud Computing™ Total Return Index (the "Index"), reduced by accrued tracking fees and accrued financing charges (collectively the "Accrued Fees").
The Index was created as a performance benchmark for companies in the cloud computing technology market, and is a total return index that uses a market capitalization weighted allocation across pure play, non pure play and technology conglomerate categories, as well as an equal weighted allocation methodology for all constituents within each such category. Index constituents are reviewed semi-annually for eligibility and their weights are re-set according to the foregoing target weightings.
The Index was created on June 6, 2011 and has no performance history prior to that date.
||ETRACS Monthly 2xLeveraged ISE Cloud Computing TR Index ETN
||ISE Cloud Computing™ Total Return Index
|Initial Trade Date
||October 4, 2011
||October 4, 2041
|Annual Tracking Fee (%)
||0.6%, per annum, accrued on a daily basis
See 'Risk considerations & Benefits' as well as the 'Important legal information specific to ETRACS ETNs' link below for more information
||20 Day Volume Average
|High (52 week)
|Low (52 week)
||Daily Indicative Value
|Updated on: May 24, 2013
|ISE Cloud Computing™ Total Return Index
|NASDAQ-100 Total Return Index
|NASDAQ-100 Technology Sector Total Return Index
*Since Index inception
Historical results for the period from June 6, 2011 through December 31, 2011.
Source: UBS Investment Bank, publicly available data.
Historical information presented is as of December 31, 2011 and is furnished as a matter of information only. Historical performance of the Index is not an indication of future performance. Future performance of the Index may differ significantly from historical performance, either positively or negatively.
The ETRACS ETNs are subject to investor fees. As a result, the return on the ETNs will always be lower than the total return on a direct investment in the Index or the Index constituents.
Number of holdings: 40
|Top 10 Holdings
|Akamai Technologies Inc
|Juniper Networks Inc
|RightNow Technologies Inc
|Rackspace Hosting Inc
|Cisco Systems Inc
|Open Text Corp
Source: ISE, as of December 31, 2011
The graph illustrates the historical returns of the Index from June 6, 2011 through December 31, 2011 in comparison with other benchmark indices. Historical performance of the Index is not an indication of future performance. Future performance of the Index may differ significantly from historical performance, either positively or negatively. The ETRACS ETNs are subject to investor fees. As a result, the return on the ETNs will always be lower than the total return on a direct investment in the Index or the Index constituents.
Key benefits & Selected risk considerations
- Gain 2x leveraged exposure to a portfolio of companies actively involved in the cloud computing segment of the information technology industry.
- Convenient access to forty cloud computing stocks spanning the pure play, non pure play and technology conglomerate categories.
- Index construction allows for the addition of new Index constituents as they become public and meet the Index criteria.
Selected risk considerations:
An investment in the ETRACS ETNs involves risks. Selected risks are summarized here, but we urge you to read the more detailed explanation of risks described in the "Risk Factors" section of the prospectus supplement for the ETRACS ETNs (the "ETRACS Prospectus"). Capitalized terms used below (and elsewhere in this document) but not defined herein shall have the meanings attributed to them in the ETRACS Prospectus.
- You may lose some or all of your principal — The ETNs are exposed to two times any monthly decline in the level of the Index. Because the negative effect of the Accrued Fees reduce your final payment, the leveraged return of the Index will need to be sufficient to offset the negative effect of the Accrued Fees and the Redemption Fee, if applicable, in order for you to receive an aggregate amount over the term of the ETNs equal to your initial investment in the ETNs. If the leveraged monthly return of the Index is insufficient to offset the negative effect of the Accrued Fees and Redemption Fee, if applicable, or if the leveraged monthly return of the Index is negative, you will lose some or all of your investment at maturity or call, upon acceleration or upon early redemption.
- Correlation and compounding risk — A number of factors may affect the ETNs' ability to achieve a high degree of correlation with the performance of the Index, and there can be no guarantee that the ETNs will achieve a high degree of correlation. Because the Current Principal Amount is reset monthly, you will be exposed to compounding of monthly returns. As a result, the performance of the ETNs for periods greater than one month is likely to be either greater than or less than twice the Index performance, before accounting for the Accrued Fees and the Redemption Fee, if any. In particular, the impact of significant adverse monthly performances of the Index on your ETNs may not be offset by subsequent beneficial monthly performances of the Index of equal magnitude.
- Leverage risk of the ETNs — The ETNs are two times leveraged with respect to the Index, which means that you will benefit two times from any beneficial, but will be exposed to two times any adverse, monthly performance of the Index, before the negative effect of the Accrued Fees and any Redemption Fee.
- Market risk — The return on the ETNs, which may be positive or negative, is linked to the leveraged monthly return of the Index. The monthly return of the Index is measured by the Index Performance Ratio, which, in turn, is affected by a variety of market and economic factors, interest rates in the markets and economic, financial, political, regulatory, judicial or other events that affect the markets generally.
- Credit of issuer — The ETNs are senior unsecured debt obligation of the issuer, UBS, and are not, either directly or indirectly, an obligation of any third party. Any payment to be made on the ETNs, including any payment at maturity or call, upon acceleration or upon early redemption, depends on the ability of UBS to satisfy its obligations as they come due. As a result, the actual and perceived creditworthiness of UBS will affect the market value, if any, of the ETNs prior to maturity or call, upon acceleration or upon early redemption. In addition, in the event UBS were to default on its obligations, you may not receive any amounts owed to you under the terms of the ETNs.
- Additional Risks associated with UBS unauthorized trading — UBS has discovered a loss due to unauthorized trading by a trader in its Investment Bank. The matter is still being investigated, but UBS's current estimate of the loss on the trades is in the range of USD 2.3 billion. It is possible that this could lead UBS to report a loss for the third quarter of 2011. In addition, Moody's Investors Service has placed UBS's standalone financial strength rating and long-term debt and deposit ratings on review for possible downgrade.
- Potential over-concentration in a particular market segment — There is only one market segment — companies actively involved in the cloud computing industry — represented in the Index. An investment in the ETNs will increase your portfolio's exposure to fluctuations in the value of the Index Constituents.
- A trading market for the ETNs may not develop — Although the ETNs have been approved for listing on NYSE Arca, subject to official notice of issuance, a trading market for the ETNs may not develop. Certain affiliates of UBS may engage in limited purchase and resale transactions in the ETNs, although they are not required to and may stop at any time. We are not required to maintain the listing of the ETNs on NYSE Arca or any other exchange. In addition, we are not obliged to, and may not, sell the full aggregate principal amount of the ETNs. We may suspend or cease sales of the ETNs at any time, at our discretion. Therefore, the liquidity of the ETNs may be limited.
- No redemption prior to October 14, 2011 — You may elect to redeem your ETNs on or after October 14, 2011. Accordingly, your ability to liquidate the ETNs may be limited prior to this date.
- Minimum redemption amount — You must elect to redeem at least 50,000 of your ETNs for UBS to repurchase your ETNs, unless we determine otherwise or your broker or other financial intermediary bundles your ETNs for redemption with those of other investors to reach this minimum requirement.
- Your redemption election is irrevocable — You will not be able to rescind your election to redeem your ETNs after your redemption notice is received by UBS. Accordingly, you will be exposed to market risk in the event market conditions change after UBS receives your offer and the Redemption Amount is determined on the Redemption Valuation Date.
- Potential automatic acceleration — In the event the indicative value of the ETNs is equal to $5.00 or less on any Trading Day or decreases 60% from the closing indicative value on the previous Monthly Valuation Date, the ETNs will be automatically accelerated and mandatorily redeemed by UBS and you will receive a cash payment equal to the Acceleration Amount as determined during the Acceleration Measurement Period. The Acceleration Amount you receive on the Acceleration Settlement Date may be significantly less than $5.00 per ETN and may be zero if the level of the Index continues to decrease during trading on one or more Trading Days during the Acceleration Measurement Period as measured by the Index Performance Ratio on one or more Trading Days during the Acceleration Measurement Period.
- Limited performance history — The return on the ETNs is linked to the performance of the Index. The Index was launched on June 6, 2011. As a result, the Index has a limited performance history. It is uncertain how the Index will perform in the future. Because the Index has no history prior to June 6, 2011, little or no historical information will be available for you to consider in making an independent investigation of the Index performance, which may make it difficult for you to make an informed decision with respect to an investment in the ETNs.
- No interest payments from the ETNs — You will not receive any interest payments or other distributions on the ETNs.
- Owning the ETNs is not the same as owning the Index Constituent stocks — The return on your series of ETNs may not reflect the return you would realize if you actually owned the underlying equity securities of the Index Constituents. For instance, you will not receive or be entitled to receive any dividend payments or other distributions on the Index constituent stocks over the term of your ETNs (however, because the ETNs are linked to a total return index, dividends paid on one or more Index Constituent stocks are treated as being reinvested in the Index).
- Uncertain tax treatment — Significant aspects of the tax treatment of the ETNs are uncertain. You should consult your own tax advisor about your own tax situation.
- UBS's Call Right — UBS may elect to redeem all outstanding ETNs of any series at any time on or after October 8, 2012, as described under "Specific Terms of the Securities — UBS Call Right" in the ETRACS Prospectus. If UBS exercises its Call Right, the Call Settlement Amount may be less than your initial investment in the ETNs of that series.
UBS has filed a registration statement (including a prospectus, as supplemented by a prospectus supplement for each offering of the ETRACS ETNs) with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") for the offerings to which this communication relates. Before you invest, you should read these documents and any other documents that UBS has filed with the SEC for more complete information about UBS and the offerings to which this communication relates. You may get these documents for free by visiting EDGAR on the SEC website at www.sec.gov. Alternatively, you can request the prospectus and any applicable prospectus supplement by calling toll-free (+1-877-387 2275).
Products and services in this web site may not be available for residents of certain jurisdictions. Please consult the restrictions relating to the product or service in question for further information. Activities with respect to US securities are conducted through UBS Securities LLC, a US broker dealer. Member of SIPC.
For information as to which entity provides the services in each jurisdiction, click here.
© UBS 1998-. All rights reserved.